Wrestling Ref Message Boards
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Couple Situational Calls --- Please advise

2 posters

Go down

Couple Situational Calls --- Please advise Empty Couple Situational Calls --- Please advise

Post  NYRef Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:27 pm

Dear Veteran Refs,

A couple situations I would like to ask to get your opinions.

1st) Two wrestlers are in the neutral position. Wrestler A takes Wrestler B to the mat in which B is on his butt supported by his hands, and wrestler A is between Wrestler B's legs with his hands locked around Wrestler's B waist. I award, "TWO, Takedown!" --- I wait two seconds, then signal Locked hands. Wrestler B was not in criteria. Coach of Wrestler B takes me to the table. I said, he was not in criteria coach, I gave him time to let go after I awarded two. Was this the right call?

2nd) A coach would repeatedly yell, "keep your hands locked" to his wrestler after I make the locked hands call. Is this good coaching or unsportsmanlike conduct on the coach? I didn't call unsportsmanlike, but it was in the back of my head. As a coach, it makes sense, why let go of them if I'm all ready going to get hit with a 1 point penalty, might as well keep them locked and only give up one instead of two. Thoughts?

Any help or feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much!

NYRef
Rookie Ref
Rookie Ref

Back to top Go down

Couple Situational Calls --- Please advise Empty Re: Couple Situational Calls --- Please advise

Post  NYRef Tue Jan 22, 2013 8:55 pm

Got anything for me?!?!!?

Any active referee boards?!?!

NYRef
Rookie Ref
Rookie Ref

Back to top Go down

Couple Situational Calls --- Please advise Empty Re: Couple Situational Calls --- Please advise

Post  matref0 Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:13 pm

#1. I sounds like you called it correct. I normally give a little more reaction time in these type of situations because the wrestler that was just awarded control may not realize he was awarded control. I also believe your situation requires some vocalization by the referee. My mechanic is to signal "2" and get in the ear of the wrestler and say "Green, you've got 2 or you've got the takedown or your now in control." If he fails to unlock after all that then I feel the locked hands call is warranted.

#2. Never had that happen before but I don't think it is unsportsmanlike. If the coach told a wrestler to drop to both knees from a standing position to bait a locked hands call, I'd agree with unsportsmanlike. The question I would ask is how long to you hold your locked hands signal before stopping? I see a lot of officials hold the signal for many seconds when nothing is really going on. I don't signal locked hands unless the defensive wrestler is in the midst of attempting a scoring maneuver. If I see a lock and there is nothing going on, I blow the whistle immediately, show the table the technical violation signal, then the locked hands signal and then award a point and reset the wrestlers. If a scoring maneuver is in progress, I'll let it go and determine if it looks like it is going to be successful or not.
Thanks for posting on the board. I’ve been hoping some officials use this since the old NFHS one is hard to use. This off-season, I plan to do a stronger advertising campaign to get more officials to come over here.

Matref0
www.wrestlingref.com
matref0
matref0
Owner
Owner

Back to top Go down

Post  NYRef Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:14 pm

Thank you!!!! I wish this was more ACTIVE !!! Great response!!!!

NYRef
Rookie Ref
Rookie Ref

Back to top Go down

Post  matref0 Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:02 am

NYRef wrote:Thank you!!!! I wish this was more ACTIVE !!! Great response!!!!

Tell your fellow officials to sign up and contribute. I feel this is a good tool for online mentoring, learning and discussion.
matref0
matref0
Owner
Owner

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down