Wrestling Ref Message Boards
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Don't Let This Happen to You-Video

3 posters

Go down

Don't Let This Happen to You-Video Empty Don't Let This Happen to You-Video

Post  matref0 Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:20 pm

I really don't like to call out other officials, especially if I don't know them but this video shows what I consider pure negligence on the official and coach's part. Start watch around 4:30 into the video.

matref0
matref0
Owner
Owner

Back to top Go down

Don't Let This Happen to You-Video Empty Re: Don't Let This Happen to You-Video

Post  NYRef Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:59 pm

I never seen such bad officiating and from one person's comment on youtube....other ref involved is brother, and the father is the head of the referee association. WOW. The ref didn't even seem concerned with the wrestler. His positioning was awful throughout the match either. He was clearly choking the child. He can't keep his hand around the neck like that, the ref should have been more proactive and told the wrestler to get his arm off the throat, if continues, get him for a point. Is that correct?

NYRef
Rookie Ref
Rookie Ref

Back to top Go down

Post  matref0 Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:00 am

This is what I think about the video:

1. As an official, if you are repeatedly saying something like, "get of the throat" you more than likely should be stopping something and penalizing. The first time could be a verbal warning and giving some benefit of doubt but more than that, something is either illegal, unnecessary or potentially dangerous.

2. By rule, all head locks are potentially dangerous. They do all not need stopped but require the referee to pay close attention to them. The official should be focused on the side where the lock is.

3. While this video demonstrates poor positioning and attention by the referee, it will happen to most of us from time to time when all of us get out of position and miss something. That is just the nature of the beast. We are all human and will make mistakes. That is not negligence in my mind. Good training and experience will help to reduce those errors.

4. My issue,,and I do think this is pure negligence, is after the match was stopped. The official was too concerned with tossing coaches and the coaches were too concerned with arguing. The wrestler laid on the mat and did not move for almost a minute. Nobody called for medical attention or checked on him. He could have been severely hurt or dying.

5. This is an extreme case of negligence in my opinion. I really hope the state association does or did something in regards to this official and coach. Both have no business in this sport. As I stated earlier, I normally would not call out a fellow official in this manner. I know and can understand that mistakes are made but I can't tolerate complete negligence of an official's core responsibility; safety of the wrestler.

Sorry for the rant. I watch tons of videos of tough calls, but I can't recall seeing a situation a blatant as this and I feel this official needs called out. And the coaching staff as well.
matref0
matref0
Owner
Owner

Back to top Go down

Post  red viking Sun Feb 10, 2013 4:10 pm

I agree that the official should have stopped this earlier for potentially dangerous but even though the rulebook describes headlocks as potentially dangerous I've never seen a kid choked out like this. It isn't easy to do. In fact, I've never even seen anybody choked out like this in an MMA match. This isn't the same position that fighters are in when an arm triangle is successfully applied. Poor officiating but to say he doesn't belong in the sport because of this one occurrence is taking it too far. I would also say that the referee was more negligent in how he reacted to the situation than in his failure to prevent it.

red viking
Rookie Ref
Rookie Ref

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down