Wrestling Ref Message Boards
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Illegal head and arm?

2 posters

Go down

Illegal head and arm? Empty Illegal head and arm?

Post  Jrjensen Sun Jan 26, 2014 9:18 pm

I have a question for you senior refs out there. I was recently officiating a middle school tournament match where Wrestler A throws Wrestler B in a head and arm. It was a legal head and arm (arm encircled above the elbow), but I could see that the arm of wrestler A was across the throat of Wrestler B and Wrestler B could not breathe. I told Wrestler A that he had to let Wrestler B breath and to loosen up on the head lock. I repeated my instruction to Wrestler A again after a couple of seconds. Wrestler A then squeezes harder on the headlock. I stop the match, award three near fall for Wrestler A, and then one point for Wrestler B for an illegal hold, and start recovery time for Wrestler B to allow him to regain his breathe. Wrestler A's coach comes to the table arguing that it should've been a potentially dangerous hold an not illegal. My basis for the illegal hold was 1) Any hold across the throat or carotid artery is illegal. I gave him ample time to correct it and he didn't. Most wrestlers I've instructed to do this have loosened up and I didn't need to stop the match. I've also had situations where the wrestler did loosen up, but not quite enough so I stopped it for potentially dangerous. 2) Any hold used for punishment is illegal. I instructed him to loosen it up because the other wrestler could not breathe, therefore he knew Wrestler B could not breathe and tightened it up tighter. I feel I could've also hit him with unsportsmanlike conduct for failing to follow my direction, but I didn't push it that far.

Did I make the right call?

Jrjensen
Rookie Ref
Rookie Ref

Back to top Go down

Illegal head and arm? Empty Re: Illegal head and arm?

Post  matref0 Mon Jan 27, 2014 5:23 pm

I think you made the correct call and you gave the offensive wrestler some benefit of doubt and an opportunity to get off the throat. You would have also been justified to stop the match immediately for an illegal hold since that can be illegal by application.

You ended up using some preventative officiating but the offensive wrestler didn't listen so he paid.
matref0
matref0
Owner
Owner

Back to top Go down