Wrestling Ref Message Boards
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This Rule Ought to Be Fun This Year

+2
Spoda
matref0
6 posters

Go down

This Rule Ought to Be Fun This Year Empty This Rule Ought to Be Fun This Year

Post  matref0 Fri Oct 28, 2011 1:52 pm

From the NFHS 2011-12 Rules update presentation:

This Rule Ought to Be Fun This Year Headgear2011

Last edited by matref0 on Tue Nov 01, 2011 10:20 am; edited 1 time in total
matref0
matref0
Owner
Owner

Back to top Go down

This Rule Ought to Be Fun This Year Empty Re: This Rule Ought to Be Fun This Year

Post  Spoda Tue Nov 01, 2011 9:41 am

I believe this and the padding over a brace or cast, should fall under special equipment.

As long as the holes in the earguard aren't covered and the material used is non-abrasive, I don't see a problem.

Next they will be telling everyone what specific materials are acceptable for there shoe laces.

One article falling under special equipment stating that it would fall under the jurasdiction of the official and must be soft in nature, and non abrasive, should cover everything.

And fat kids whose nipples hang out of there singlet should be allowed to were a tight - fitting shirts. I feel that is sufficient reason enough. As a wrestler I think I would rather deal with the acne than have a nipple hanging in my face.........Just saying. Very Happy

Spoda
Rookie Ref
Rookie Ref

Back to top Go down

This Rule Ought to Be Fun This Year Empty Re: This Rule Ought to Be Fun This Year

Post  whistle_tooter Tue Nov 01, 2011 10:04 am

It's obvious that someone got hurt from a beat up or tattered headgear and lawyers were summoned. I'm guessing the the NFHS went to the headgear manufacturers and they were probably told that they couldn't be held accountable if their equipment wasn't worn as it was intended to be worn. We are also being told that you can't cross the straps on the headgear and no tape on uniform (sometimes tape is used to hold straps tight in the back for improper fitting singlets).

Headgear is required equipment, unlike knee pads or braces. My question to our state association was since shoes are required equipment, does the tape issue apply to shoes also? The answer was no...NFHS said tape on the shoes are fine. Just wait until the wrestling shoe manufacturers catch wind the headgear rule and the realize that they can increase sales by getting taped banned from shoes too. No more repairs on those "lucky" shoes that are 5 years old and have 4 layers of tape to hold them together...LOL

WT

whistle_tooter
Rookie Ref
Rookie Ref

Back to top Go down

Post  matref0 Tue Nov 01, 2011 10:23 am

I brought up the same thing about the showlaces being taped, got the same answer you did.

Guess we better be ready to blow the whistle a lot for headgear falling off.

I can understand the tape thing on the sides, most just put it on there to look cool and write something on it. The straps are a different story IMO. I've had three kids wrestle and the first thing we did after fitting the headgear was to tape straps down. Some of these straps are longer than they need to be and they flap around. Tapping those down prevents the straps from flapping. If I see headgear straps tapped, I'm pretty sure someone took the time to properly fit the thing, and that is good.
matref0
matref0
Owner
Owner

Back to top Go down

Post  cnc Sun Nov 20, 2011 12:37 pm

I could not find this in the rules update or the rulebook. Where is it? Also, is this in effect for all states this season?

cnc
Rookie Ref
Rookie Ref

Back to top Go down

Post  matref0 Mon Nov 21, 2011 10:50 am

cnc,

Not in the rules book except for under rule 4-1-5 specifing uniform/equipment shall be worn as intended by the manufacturer.

This slide was from the NFHS rules update presentation for this season. My understanding is it applies to all states.
matref0
matref0
Owner
Owner

Back to top Go down

Post  Defref Mon Nov 28, 2011 11:32 pm

In Kansas, we decided we'd ignore this interpretation.

Also, there's a case book example that says stickers on the headgear are OK...tell me what the heck the difference is between a sticker and tape...

Defref
Rookie Ref
Rookie Ref

Back to top Go down

Post  whistle_tooter Tue Nov 29, 2011 10:20 am

Our state's bylaws or whatever they call it, forces them to adhere to all NFHS rules so opting out of this interpretation is not an option for us. To answer your question about the difference between stickers and tape: I have seen headgears taped up that are in pretty bad shape such as foam padding ripped or torn that exposes the metal plate inside which could cause a problem if it gets torn apart further. Also, I'm guesssing that the use of tape or crossing the straps to provide a "proper fit" is where the manufacturer had to draw the line for liability purposes. I don't see stickers causing an issue as far as safety is concerned but why allow them at all? Special equipment must be "unadorned", so why isn't all required equipment mandated to be unadorned also? The rules about the uniform (limits on logos, flag sizes, etc) are fairly straight forward but they allow stickers on other required equipment? Makes no sense to me.

Sounds like Kansas isn't under the same type of regulations as we are, thus the ability to opt out of the ruling. I know of other states that do the same type of things for weigh-ins by allowing the wrestlers to weigh in at their own school the morning of a match scheduled that evening. They also have weigh outs the same day for the next day's competition in multiple day events.

whistle_tooter
Rookie Ref
Rookie Ref

Back to top Go down

Post  Defref Tue Nov 29, 2011 11:10 pm

We don't follow the weigh-in rule either.

Our big issue with the tape "rule" was that for years we've told kids to tape up the chin strap after it won't stay on....this interpretation would have prohibited that practice. It's too bad they didn't give a reason for this new interpretation when putting it out.

Defref
Rookie Ref
Rookie Ref

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Wed Nov 30, 2011 10:21 am

Our state issued an interpretation that, I think, applies some common sense:

1. Tape on the outside of the guards will not be permitted.
2. If tape or padding is needed for additional ear protection, it must be inside the guard.
3. A reasonable amount of tape will be permitted to secure straps, including chin strap, for purposes of proper sizing.
4. If tape around the head/nose/face is needed to stop bleeding, it must be under the headgear; not wrapped around the headgear.
Admin
Admin
Admin
Admin

https://wrestlingref.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down