Wrestling Ref Message Boards
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Line is in

+2
whistle_tooter
akref
6 posters

Go down

Line is in Empty Line is in

Post  akref Wed Nov 30, 2011 5:21 pm

Up in Alaska we've been wrestling since early October and I have to say that the new line rule has been the most difficult rule change I've had to adapt to in the 20 years I've been officiating. 20 years of looking at that line as being out and now it's in. Tough habit to break but I'm coming around to it. It's easy when a takedown occurs and you look at the toes, but where it gets a bit tougher is when there is action going on at the edge and wrestlers are moving in and out of the line. It seems that I'm more likely to have them be out and come back in, (while trying to figure out of each had a supporting point out) then I am blowing the whistle too early while they are still inbounds. Mats with contrasting colors makes it easier than mats with the two inch line.

In the big scheme of things, this rule didn't change much and I wish they would have just left it alone or have done it right and make a significant change to have only one supporting point of one wrestler be inbounds.

akref
Rookie Ref
Rookie Ref

Back to top Go down

Line is in Empty Re: Line is in

Post  whistle_tooter Tue Dec 06, 2011 11:22 am

At my first HS tournament with the new line rule this weekend, I caught myself concentrating too much on the new OOB which initially led to me allowing some wrestling to continue when I shouldn't have. After about 20 min or so it started to become more natural and by the end of the weekend it didn't faze me. I did have a fall on the line and noticed several lifts that would have been called OOB last year that were allowed to continue.

In my opinion there was no reason to make this change....we gained all of 4" of wrestling area. Not worth the trouble if you ask me.

WT

whistle_tooter
Rookie Ref
Rookie Ref

Back to top Go down

Post  matref0 Tue Dec 06, 2011 2:30 pm

WT,

I think we only gained 2" of wrestling area.
matref0
matref0
Owner
Owner

Back to top Go down

Post  whistle_tooter Tue Dec 06, 2011 2:41 pm

we've gained 2" at any given spot on the edge but the diameter of the wrestling area on a mat with 2" lines has increased by 4"

either way...not much gain.

whistle_tooter
Rookie Ref
Rookie Ref

Back to top Go down

Post  dameiss Wed Dec 07, 2011 1:02 pm

And, given a minimum 28' diameter mat, gives an increase in the wrestling area from 86,569 to 88,668 square inches - an increase of 2,099 square inches (or 14.57 square feet). Which is pretty significant, given how much wrestling is done at the edge.

Or, for those mats which had no 2" line, but instead just a contrasting color - a net gain of zero.

:-)

dameiss
Rookie Ref
Rookie Ref

Back to top Go down

Post  ncofficial Thu Dec 08, 2011 2:52 pm

I understand the frustration with the rule change too but consider this. No doubt we all want to get every call right, and takedowns and reversals on the line are in my opinion one of the hardest calls we see. But I let the team and the coaches know this before the match: I am going to do my best to make the right call wherever it occurs on the mat whether it be in the middle or on the line. However, I don't tolerate much argument on the close calls on the line due to the fact that the wrestlers really shouldn't be there in the first place. They should be wrestling in the 10 foot circle. So I try not to lose too much sleep if I give my best effort and still miss a close one on the line.

ncofficial
Rookie Ref
Rookie Ref

Back to top Go down

Line is in Empty Line is in

Post  kanref Wed Jun 13, 2012 1:10 pm

It is early summer now and I've had time to reflect on the line change. It is manageable. My viewpoint contradicts that of NFHS. It seems in most sports when the out of bound line is touched the contestant is out. Some wrestlers are able to play the edge to their advantage. My solution is to make out of bounds a technical violation; unless the wrestler is forced out the first touch is a warning, thereafter one point. Now the out of bounds line can be moved outward if the desire is to increase the wrestling area. Ideas, comments?

kanref
Rookie Ref
Rookie Ref

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down