Wrestling Ref Message Boards
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Double stalling in the OT

3 posters

Go down

Double stalling in the OT  Empty Double stalling in the OT

Post  foneman Tue Jan 03, 2012 6:40 pm

Situation: In the first minute of OT where we have 2 not very aggressive wrestlers on their feet who have already been warned for stalling.

Question: It used to be that if we warned both (at the same time) and awarded a point to each we ended the period and went right to the 30 second periods. I cant find this in the book anymore so does this mean we no longer do this? It would seem silly to continue a match on their feet where neither wrestler wants a TD.

foneman

foneman
Rookie Ref
Rookie Ref

Back to top Go down

Double stalling in the OT  Empty Re: Double stalling in the OT

Post  whistle_tooter Wed Jan 04, 2012 1:07 pm

I see no reason for that ruling to have changed....points are scored (at the same time) thus the sudden victory period ends and we move on to the two 30 second periods.

While it is possible for this to happen and I don't mean to be critical of those who have made this call, I'm just not sure there is any reason to make a double stalling call here. The SV period is only 1 minute...if they want to dance, let them dance and move on to the two 30 second periods. Of course, I'm not saying you don't hit one of them if they one obviously stalling while the other is on the attack....just don't see much of a reason to hit them both in SV. If you do make the call, I would want to be absolutely sure that both wrestlers are being penalized equally, per the penalty chart, so you don't end up ending the match when you may have only intended to proceed to the 30 second rounds.

WT

whistle_tooter
Rookie Ref
Rookie Ref

Back to top Go down

Post  akref Wed Jan 04, 2012 4:04 pm

I ran into this situation earlier this season and found that when the two 30-second tiebreakers were adopted, the rule/interpretation on double stall/equal points awarded went away. This is why you can't find it anymore in the book. Just sit back and watch the dance.

akref
Rookie Ref
Rookie Ref

Back to top Go down

Post  foneman Wed Jan 04, 2012 4:10 pm

We have had this discussion here in MN and one of our Head Refs came up with the same answer. Since the new 30 - 30 was adopted, we no longer had that option to go direct to the 30 second round(s).

I only ask because in situations where the full 6 minute match has been on the feet and no one has secured or really attempted a takedown, it seems silly to do it again for another 1 minute.

As mentioned, I guess we watch the dance.

Thanks for the reply's

foneman

foneman
Rookie Ref
Rookie Ref

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down