Wrestling Ref Message Boards
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A New Topic, USC from Near Fall, Injury time on sickness?

3 posters

Go down

A New Topic, USC from Near Fall, Injury time on sickness? Empty A New Topic, USC from Near Fall, Injury time on sickness?

Post  jkumpire Sun Jan 11, 2015 2:16 am

Guys this is killing me and I need help. Happened today for the first time in 5-6 years, in fact two situations:

1. Inexperienced A puts inexperienced B in nearfall criteria, gets 3 point near fall then immediately lets B up.

This is USC on A, 1 match point for B. Here is question: Is it an escape too? So this USC is a 2 point penalty? Cannot find rule book reference or case book reference on it.

What I did here was call the USC on A and get them on their feet. In retrospect if I put them on their feet don't I have to give an escape to B? Or do I keep B down after enforcing the penalty?

2. A leads B 7-5 with 40 seconds left. At a stoppage when they go OOB, Wrestler A pukes all over the mat. I called injury time on A as he finishes at a nearby trash can and when he is done we are now in my time for cleanup. Was I correct in using A's injury time in this situation? Can't find rule book reference.

Thanks for your help!

jkumpire
Rookie Ref
Rookie Ref

Back to top Go down

A New Topic, USC from Near Fall, Injury time on sickness? Empty Re: A New Topic, USC from Near Fall, Injury time on sickness?

Post  VTREF Tue Jan 13, 2015 12:15 pm

1.  I don't consider this a USC.  I see this as not much different than giving an escape so that he can take him down again, the wrestler in control is saying that he can gain more points by releasing him and starting over then holding him in a pinning situation that he doesn't feel that he can pin him in, so I would just give the 1 for an escape and let them keep on going.

2.  I believe you handled the puking correctly, he is sick and can not wrestle at that time, once he is able to continue, stop the IT and the rest is cleanup.

VTREF
Rookie Ref
Rookie Ref

Back to top Go down

A New Topic, USC from Near Fall, Injury time on sickness? Empty Re: A New Topic, USC from Near Fall, Injury time on sickness?

Post  jkumpire Tue Jan 13, 2015 1:11 pm

VT,

I am sure this is USC, I've seen it called before and I was taught to call it. Maybe it is a state issue or its an old case book interpretation that isn't in this year's book. I'm glad I have have it so rarely. Thanks for the post! sunny

jkumpire
Rookie Ref
Rookie Ref

Back to top Go down

Post  VTREF Tue Jan 13, 2015 5:08 pm

I could understand a stalling call, here is the rule that I referenced earlier 5-24-4.

ART. 4 . . . It is stalling when the contestant in the advantage position:
a. does not wrestle aggressively and attempts to secure a fall, except when the wrestler intentionally releases the opponent in order to thereafter immediately attempt to secure a takedown;

I would not consider a USC call unless he let him up with a taunting or disrespectful attitude.  How is this different from a tilt where the top wrestler knows he can't pin him with it, and lets the bottom guy recover so that he can get more NF from a new situation?  It sounds like you were taught to call this USC automatically, do you have a rule reference that supports an automatic USC?

Thanks for your reply, I am always interested in how other officials view these grey area situations.

VTREF
Rookie Ref
Rookie Ref

Back to top Go down

Post  matref0 Tue Jan 20, 2015 1:52 pm

Our association would call USC if a wrestler let a guy out of near fall; however, it can be a sticky point as VTRef pointed out. We looked at it not so much for tilts but when the offensive wrestler was clearly on top going for the fall and then just stood up. We considered it taunting but haven't seen it called in years. If it was called, the illegal action occurred prior to the escape so if you did what came first, the penalty did and the match needs to be stopped at that point so we would not award the escape. I don't recall it being in the rules book or case manual, just an interpretation that some areas adopted.

In number 2, remember injury time also covers illness in the rules book so you are justified to put him on the clock since he was obviously ill.
matref0
matref0
Owner
Owner

Back to top Go down

A New Topic, USC from Near Fall, Injury time on sickness? Empty Thanks Matref

Post  jkumpire Tue Jan 20, 2015 3:03 pm

In Ohio I've seen it called and I've called it myself and nobody complained about it. It might be one of those interpretations that gets put into a case book in some year and never gets codified or put back in the book over time. Hopefully the FED rules committee will get this in the rule or case book somewhere.

jkumpire
Rookie Ref
Rookie Ref

Back to top Go down

Post  jkumpire Tue Jan 20, 2015 3:05 pm

BTW Matref,

Thanks for this board and the site in general. After the FED board died, a huge mistake by them, it is so hard to find any decent boards for wrestling officials.

jkumpire
Rookie Ref
Rookie Ref

Back to top Go down

Post  matref0 Wed Jan 21, 2015 10:41 am

jkumpire wrote:BTW Matref,

Thanks for this board and the site in general. After the FED board died, a huge mistake by them, it is so hard to find any decent boards for wrestling officials.

Thanks, tell your fellow officials. I'd love to get this board filled with more traffic. Lots of good insights learned over the years from some message boards.
matref0
matref0
Owner
Owner

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down